Summary and Working Specifications
This device uses two table sensors for detecting radiation (Beta-2 and Beta-2M). While the cost of the device increased significantly due to the use of these sensors, they do allow this detector to detect and display radiation results for Beta- and Gamma- as two separate values. This the first time that a small, hand-held device can accurately measure the presence of Beta- and Gamma- values in products.
It is astonishing considering that this device weighs only 175 g / 6.2 oz (compared to the typical 10 kg / 25 lbs and above for an equivalent).
- simultaneous and separate evaluation of Gamma- and Beta-particles
- ability to accumulate dose for two users (acts as a dosimeter)
- continuous evaluation with self-test and result correction
- automatic re-test/re-set in case of sudden change in dose-rate or radiation flux-density
- ability to show Background on display and excess of Background
- short measurement cycle
- measurement cycle decreases as the ambient radiation increases
- ability to track measurement cycles
- ability to change alarm thresholds for Beta- and Gamma-radiation
- ability to choose audio or vibration alarm
- calibration coefficient may be modified by the user
You can find instruction for RD1008 here.
This is by far one of the best pocket-size geiger counters out there! Why? Because he has an outstanding sensibility to Beta-Radiation (60%) – famous LND7317 has only 48%! Because he is so well built with ABS-Plastic! Because he has TWO! pancake size counters and measures simultaneous Gamma- and Beta-Radiation! Because he is enough sensitive to Alpha-Radiation (20% for Pu-239) for 95% of all applications! Because he uses only 1! AA battery and works for 950h! The RD1008 has some really nice features which you wont find on any other counter on the market! But of course, he also has some little “disadvantages”: the RD1008 can not show CPS or CPM nor has he an USB – interface! But honestly, these are not really disadvantages!